Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Walt Whitman, Astronomy and the Broken Hearted

Walt Whitman, Astronomy and the Broken Hearted

Another fact like being born, dying and falling in love
is the fact that you will have your heart broken.
That’s just what humans do
love and break hearts.
As many billions of ways there is to get a heart broken
there is a trillion ways to attempt to mend one.

1) There is beer and booze, I know, they only muddy the waters.

2) There is television overdose, I know, I have the image
of a TV remote emblazoned on my eyeballs.

3) There is the self sacrifice of throwing your soul into
the arms of world religions, I know, though wiser
and a tad bit more at peace, I still sniffed after love’s behind.

There are only two stories that I know firsthand
of redemption from the dreaded broken heart.
Two stories that have been successful at salving
the wounded organ.

One was learned from Walt Whitman
that alone I can celebrate myself!

– And the other is that he threw his entire
humanity into an ongoing relationship
with the night sky and her heavenly bodies.

Possibly these two reasons
are what may have made their
broken hearts whole again

…and oh yes…

just maybe the very real fact
that they both found great women
worth their weight in gold and diamonds.

1 Comments:

At 9/3/06 08:19, Blogger briandouglasphillips said...

Enjoying the poetry, especially "Folklore of Twilight Illinois." That's fantastic.
I must say I read much more verse than I write, but I'm getting into it ... slowly. I'm a songwriter, primarily. You can check out my music at www.myspace.com/briandouglasphillips
I'd love to hear what you think.
Thanks for dropping a line!

peace,
brian
http://thehuntinghat.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home